Outdoor Burning

Residential Burning Regulations

Keeping track of when, where, and how District residents are allowed to complete controlled burning activities can be confusing.

Department of Environmental Quality​

DEQ is responsible for establishing and enforcing the regulations pursuant to open burning and air quality. If you wish to report an illegal burn, smoke, or air quality issue; file an online complaint or call DEQ at 888-997-7888.

Southern Oregon Hemp Burning Guide

Listed below are guidelines to help:

Burn Permit
You must have a current burn permit from Fire District 5. Permits are good for two years and they're free, so stop by any of our stations to get one. You may also print a burn permit and fill it out yourself. Sign and keep it available when you burn in case you're asked to present it. ​​

City of Talent & Phoenix Residents
No outdoor burning is allowed at all within City limits. Contact your City Hall if you have questions.

No burning is allowed within AQMA from November 1st through February 28th due to Jackson County Air Quality Regulations.

Am I inside or outside of the Air Quality Maintenance Area (AQMA)?

During burn season (March 1st until Fire Season is declared, usually sometime in June) the ventilation index must be above 400 or you cannot burn. Call (541) 776-7007 for a recorded message with up-to-date information. Check each day you plan to burn.

Make sure you are burning only combustible material (no rubber, plastic, wet garbage, petroleum products, demolition debris, or any materials generated by a commercial enterprise or construction operation.)

Burning is allowed during daylight hours only.

Burning must be conducted under the constant supervision of a person capable of taking corrective action.

The burn permit provides in-depth information regarding burn piles and burn barrels, and must be kept available at the burn site. For up-to-date fire season restrictions, check the Oregon Department of Forestry website at http://www.swofire.com/

If you have additional questions or concerns please call us at (541) 535-4222.